Tuesday 28 August 2012

AGAINST ALL ODDS

"Dreams are very powerful. It stands for vision of possibility when realism is at its dissuading best. Dreams  help us to see the trials of  today for what they really are;the triumph of tomorrow. Many of the greatest accomplishment in history had been done against all odds because someone had a dream.

    Success is not blind,it goes to those who seek it day and night. In every places,there are some people who soar higher than others. It's not because success is meant for some people while others are left out. But the secret is,they really paid a great price for it. Success is not esoteric.

   We are gathered here today to celebrate  a real success of our time. I strongly believe that an average person with an average talent can outstrip the most brilliant and intelligent person if that person have a clear goal. I implore everyone to stand up as i invite our lady unto the podium"

  Those are the words of Dr. Festus, the guest speaker at the recognition programme that was meant to celebrate me. Everyone, including the Vice President, Minister of Education, Governors and other dignitaries stood up to honour me. As i walked up to the podium,they all applauded and i was covered with excitement.

   "I present to you,ladies and gentlemen, Eyitayo Makinde. It was my turn to speak but the words stuck into my throat. I pulled myself together and said, "It's a great honour to stand before you all today. I appreciate the effort of the president and his cabinets to think of this recognition ceremony.  I implore the youth to listen to what i have to say.

 I didn't wake up today and find myself a success. I paused for a while. The audience were more attentive. They wanted to know my secret and the truth is, there is no secret at all.As i looked forward, I  saw my mum and brother, smiling. My mum couldn't hide her joy, she was the happiest mum in the world.

 "All I did was that, I had a dream and worked hard to make it come true. The truth is that, dreamers never sleep. They don't just lie down on their beds dreaming of success. They toil even as they envision. If  anyone care to know  my story, you would know that it was my dream and hardwork that kept me going. 

  My advice is that, you should have a dream, believe in it and in yourself, be determined and persistent. Work hard, pray to God and before you know it, you are what  you desire to be. Thank you." I handed the microphone back to the compere and went back to my seat.

  The compere called upon the Vice President in person of, Honourable  Essien to present the golden medal to me. He presented me the medal which I received with smiling face. The photographers did their jobs and I was glad beyond words.Amidst this joy, I felt incomplete because my fiance was not there.

  Other young treasures were called to receive their various awards and prices. Doctor Shogo,  a comedian mounted the podium and after twenty minutes of his performance,we all dissolved into great laughter. I took countless pictures with dignitaries and people I knew not. I was very happy.

   The ceremony took place last saturday. It was one of the happiest day in my life. I woke up at 4am, said my morning prayer and read my Bible. Went to the bathroom, washed my teeth and took my bath. I stood before my wardrobe remembering my past. I remembered  when I had two skirts with three shirts. Now, I have more than enough.

  I picked up a yellow gown, put it on and went straight to the mirror. I wasn't satisfied with what  I saw. And before  I knew it, I had already wore six clothes. I was very choosy about what I wear.

  " I just have to pick up a dress" I said to myself. At last, I picked up a free flowing gown. It has a Nigeria symbol. That is, green white green.I stood before the mirror, powdered my face and used a green eye shadow. I also used a green and white hair bond to pack my long fixed hair. I used a tiny ear ring with a necklace. Whao! what I saw in the mirror was a real black beauty.

  How I love those memories!  

    People see me as a real success. I have  lots of friends and lovers on facebook, numerous fans on my celebrity pages and lots of followers on my blogs.

 But  there is something about me that is still hidden and i want to unveil it. That is the untold story of Eyitayo Makinde.                

                     TO BE CONTINUED

    

1 comment:

What did you think about this post?
I would love to hear from you.